Welcome! This is the beginning of a blog where fans of cake and sugar art can share their thoughts and opinions. We hope to provide interesting information, a peek into our journey in cake world, and maybe some inspiration and humor along the way. We love it that you are here!
I am Holly Bowers, owner and designer at Holly’s Cakes. I have been creating cakes for quite some time; my first wedding cake was in 1978 in Ohio but we have been in South Carolina for almost 21 years. The world of cake is forever changing with new techniques and my skillset was built on books, videos and numerous trial and error sessions.
Holly’s Cakes does not have a storefront; we have a separate commercial, DHEC approved bakery attached to the house located on the border of Belton and Anderson, SC. All of our cakes are custom made and are picked up by appointment or delivered. We mainly service the greater Greenville and Anderson areas and often various locations in the Upstate SC. Of course, I cannot do this alone- my staff is incredible! Each has their own expertise and they all have such fun, caring, and positive personalities. I just love working with these ladies- each one is so talented!
Many ask where our inspiration comes from. Other than real life, our inspiration comes from the greats! Seeing the tremendous creations of the best in the business instills the possibilities in cake. According to The Daily Meal the top 6 in the wedding cake industry are:
- Ron Ben Israel in New York, NY: Perfection extraordinaire. His work is impeccable and displays pure precision.
- Creative Cakes in Tinley Park, IL: Join the over 100,000 who have visited their gallery!
- Freed’s Bakery in Las Vegas, NV: Their cakes are definitely creative!
- Mike’s Amazing Cakes in Redmond, WA: They are my all-time favorite! He is just….amazing! Check out his 3D dragon!
- Whipped Bakeshop in Philadelphia, PA: The cakes they make are inspiring, clean and unique!
- Cake Lava in Kailua, HI: When they say, “Designed with wow in mind,” you better believe it!
My personal favorite for all-occasion cakes is Pink Cake Box in New Jersey – their creativity is incredible. I could spend hours on their site!
Where do you find inspiration for designs for your events? Leave your comments below and make sure to visit our website!